It’s less than 14 hours until the servers go live for the launch of WildStar! Obviously, it’s not the official launch, but it’s the head start that anyone who preordered the game has been eagerly anticipating.
I’m aware that all of you who read this are probably not the anal-retentive, list-making weirdos that I am. But I thought I would share some of the things that I’ve done to make sure that my experience tonight (and throughout the weekend) is as smooth as possible.
- Choose a realm. If you have friends or guildies going to a specific server, this choice is an easy one. If not, guilds are all recruiting now, so check out the WildStar forums, Reddit guild recruitment, or WildStar Guildex. Or choose the server that sounds the coolest and make friends with the wonderful people you discover while you play!
- Reinstall (or patch) the game. This isn’t necessary if you didn’t play for very long in the beta. I had some extra time though and wanted to be sure that I had the newest files to avoid any kind of lag that old files might cause. Be sure not to delete your screenshot folder if you choose to do this. And plan ahead, because a new download can take some time, depending on your internet speed.
- Check out WildStar addons and download any that interest you. Addons aren’t for everyone, and many players enjoy playing the game the way that the designers intended it to look. I appreciate that opinion, but wholly disagree. I LOVE addons! I already have a list of about 15 that I’ve got ready to go. Check out the YouTube channel of Stone Legion gaming community for some great, short videos about some of the best addons. Also, Kadomi’s blog post about addons is very helpful. All of these addons, and many more, can be downloaded within seconds through the Curse client.
- Select a name for your character. This is another big decision (i.e., one that can’t be changed later). If you were one of the lucky ones who was able to reserve a name, then you’re all set. Your name is reserved globally across all servers until 14 days after launch. If you didn’t get to reserve a name, choose your favorite, but have a few backups or variations ready.
- Add an authenticator to your WildStar account. Carbine recently added two-step verification to WildStar through the Google Authenticator app. While it’s nice to have account security, they sweetened the deal by giving perks to people who add the authenticator. The rewards are a title, a costume eyepiece, and a 2% buff to XP, renown, and prestige.
- Know the stats that will be important for your character. Nothing is worse than getting in a great questing groove, getting your first gear reward choice, and not having any idea what to pick. WildStar’s stats are named a little differently than other MMOs, so do a little reading to see what your character will need.
- Prepare food and drinks. Beer and cheetos will only take you so far. Plan for some healthy snacks and lots of water, and your body will thank you. 🙂
Chores and child/pet care. I spent most of yesterday catching up on my laundry, straightening the house, and doing other odd chores. I also made sure that my cat has enough food, and my kiddos have some fun activities for the weekend. I’m not planning to pull a crazy, long, race-to-50 marathon or anything, but I’ll likely be gaming much more this weekend than I normally do. I want to be sure that my little ones have a great weekend also.
- Have fun! Most importantly, enjoy yourself and this new, wonderful game! Enjoy the leveling process and planet Nexus. Take frequent breaks, and take care of yourself. The launch of a new game like WildStar is a unique experience for a gamer, so make the most of it!
See you on Nexus!